Pro-tips for students on communicating with professors

If you answered your own question after you sent me an email about it, REPLY AND TELL ME SO! I cannot tell you how many times I've crafted a reply to an inquiry--usually sort of frustrated because the question is an easy one to solve, or I already even talked through it on the syllabus or in class--and then after I send that answer, I get an email reply thanking me but also telling me they already figured it out on their own. THEN WHY DID I JUST WASTE MORE MINUTES OF MY LIFE TYPING ALL THAT OUT WHEN IT DOES LITERALLY NO ONE ANY GOOD?!
Maybe you just forget all about that email when the question is answered, maybe you were conscientiously thinking that you don't want to keep spamming me, but please, OH PLEASE, send that email telling me nevermind, no need to bother, thanks for my attention, because you solved it.

How can I explain to you how it feels to feel like I have so few hours, and so much to do, and how horrifying it feels to realize that 3 hours have gone by *just* answering and composing emails?! I want to help you with the things you need, but if my email reply will no longer do that, PLEASE LET ME OFF THE HOOK!

Comments

Popular Posts